Abiomed at CRT 2023: Benefits of Impella-Supported High Risk PCI and Impella Innovation
DANVERS, Mass., Feb. 24, 2023 – Abiomed, Inc., part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, announced that results from a study on Impella-supported high-risk percutaneous coronary intervention (HRPCI) patients will be presented during the upcoming Cardiovascular Research Technologies (CRT) 2023 Conference in Washington, DC from Feb. 25-28. Abiomed’s booth (#503) and Saturday’s Power Break lunch symposium will feature the latest Impella technologies. Several Live Cases with physicians using Impella technology will be broadcast throughout the conference to attendees.
Named one of the top oral presentations at CRT 2023, Arsalan Abu-Much, MD, from the Cardiovascular Research Foundation, will highlight results from a PROTECT III analysis of 1,237 non-cardiogenic shock patients who received an Impella supported HRPCI.
- Title: Impella Utilization In High-risk Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Mitigates The Risks Of Procedural And Clinical Adverse Events Independent Of Left Ventricular Ejection Fraction: The Protect III Study
- Date/Time: Sunday, Feb. 26, 2:30-2:40 pm ET, Kent Theater
Symposium – High Risk, High Reward – Modern Impella Utilization
On Saturday, Feb. 25 at 1 pm ET, Abiomed is sponsoring a lunch symposium focused on Impella utilization during HRPCI. Four physicians, listed below, will discuss how to identify appropriate patients for HRPCI with Impella support as well as optimizing outcomes for these patients. Two Impella HRPCI cases will also be featured, including one case utilizing Impella ECP, the world’s smallest heart pump at 9 Fr.
- William W. O'Neill, MD, FACC, MSCAI – Henry Ford Health Systems
- Katherine Kunkel, MD – Piedmont Heart Institute
- Amir Kaki, MD, FACC, FSCAI – Ascension St John Hospital
- Michael C. Kim, MD – Lenox Hill Hospital, Northwell Health
Abiomed Technology Highlights
At the Abiomed booth (#503), visitors will have the opportunity to learn more about a recent labeling change for Impella CP with SmartAssist and get hands-on demonstrations with Abiomed’s latest technologies. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently validated the best practice of placing Impella pre-PCI in cardiogenic shock patients. The FDA’s decision is based on multiple studies and publications and a recently published AHA Scientific Statement, which says physicians should consider Impella prior to initiation of PCI in patients presenting with signs and symptoms of cardiogenic shock. The following technologies will be featured at the booth:
- Impella RP Flex with SmartAssist is implanted percutaneously through the internal jugular vein, which provides the option for patient mobility while on support and is designed to be easy to implant, with a flexible canula that is advanced over an extra supportive guidewire.
- Impella Low Profile Sheath has smaller size and technological advancements that facilitates easier Impella insertion and removal, reduces procedural steps and helps improve outcomes.
- 9th generation of Impella CP with SmartAssist has a new tapered, more flexible pigtail that enables easier insertion and is compatible with heparin-free purge, sodium bicarbonate, to help with anticoagulation management.
Based in Danvers, Massachusetts, USA, Abiomed, Inc., part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical technology that provides circulatory support and oxygenation. Our products are designed to enable the heart to rest and recover by improving blood flow and/or provide sufficient oxygenation to those in respiratory failure. For additional information, please visit www.abiomed.com.
About Johnson & Johnson MedTech
At Johnson & Johnson MedTech, we unleash diverse healthcare expertise, purposeful technology, and a passion for people to transform the future of medical intervention and empower everyone to live their best life possible. For more than a century, we have driven breakthrough scientific innovation to address unmet needs and reimagine health. In surgery, orthopaedics, vision, and interventional solutions, we continue to help save lives and create a future where healthcare solutions are smarter, less invasive, and more personalized.
 Johnson & Johnson MedTech comprises the surgery, orthopedics, vision and interventional solutions businesses within Johnson & Johnson's MedTech segment.